Koda Kumi – 3 SPLASHJuly 29, 2009 at 4:58 PM | Posted in Koda Kumi | 6 Comments
1. 09:00 A.M. [Intro]
2. Lick me ♥
4. 12:35 P.M. [Interlude]
5. Hashire! (走れ!)
6. 04:20 P.M. [Interlude]
7. Lick me ♥ (Q;indivi-Yusuke Tanaka Remix)
8. ECSTASY (Caramel Pod E Remix)
9. Hashire! (420 Remix)
10. 12:00 A.M. [Outro]
This is Koda Kumi’s 44th single and it was released on July 8, 2009. The single reached #2 on the Oricon Weekly Charts and sold 81,278 copies.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a review of the CD+DVD edition which has 10 tracks because it features 3 remixes and an extra interlude.
Oh goodness…Koda Kumi and her summer singles. After the short introduction track (which was just a bunch of random beats), we get a song with a title that is quite misleading. Initially, I thought Lick me ♥ was going to be dirty or something, but it’s the complete opposite. This song is actually a cute, summer themed pop track and as of late…I’m starting to like it. The song as a whole is catchy with the chorus being the main focus. However, there are still some things that bother me. The adlibbing at the end of chorus has got to go and the music is very typical. *inserts every other cute Kumi song here*
Now ECSTASY is more like it! Here is the sexy Koda Kumi that I love…to an extent in this song at least. Just think of it as a more involved and improved upon version of Lick me ♥ since it incorporates more of an R&B sound instead of just cute clapping beats next to electric guitars. The vocals are better here as well. In my opinion, it’s the best song on the single.
After another random interlude, Hashire! crashes in with its loud electric guitars. I don’t like this song at all and I think it’s really obnoxious, the biggest offender being Kumi’s vocals. She just needs to tone it down a notch because there’s a lot of shouting going on. The adlibbing near the end is so annoying too!
Booooo! Another interlude! </3 This one just has beeping and other crap but it transitions into the remix portion of the single. Let’s go over them, shall we?
- Believe it or not, I think the remix of Lick me ♥ is better than the original! It ditches the pop rock sound for funky synth and it sounds a lot better because of that.
- The ECSTASY remix was annoying. I guess the remixer thought Kumi’s “LAID BACK!” line was cool because you hear it constantly during the instrumental sections. It reminds me of that horrible 80kidz’s remix of Ayumi Hamasaki’s Rule. *dies*
- Hashire! wasn’t good but the remix is an interesting take on the song. The vocals have been distorted a lot and are mostly muffled underneath buzzing synth. I’m still deciding if this was an improvement or not.
I thought the “outro” was a fitting end for the single since it features the sound of crashing ocean waves. It also includes a short sample from Lick me ♥ for good measure.